Friday, January 27, 2012

Diaper Cake

I had seen so many different variations of diaper cakes on the internet and vowed that one day I would make one.  This past Fall, I co-hosted a baby shower and had the opportunity I'd waited for, so I gathered diapers and other supplies and began assembly (and reassembly)!  We knew the guest of honor was expecting a girl, so this diaper cake was made in shades of pink for the future princess.  I used no glue or tape in the construction of this cake and all items are "baby ready" and completely unharmed.

First, I lined a large plastic platter with 10 bibs.


Next, I used a bottle as the "foundation" and added the layers around the bottle.  The first layer consisted of 5 receiving blankets.  The next layer were the diapers.  Each diaper was individually rolled and held in place by a small, clear rubber bands.  I used a large rubber band to hold the row of diapers in place.


I added 2 more rows of diapers to complete the bottom tier.


The next tier began with towels and infant gowns wound around each other to create the "core".  This level was topped with a smaller row of infant sleepers rolled up tightly.


Next, the remaining three tiers of diapers were added.


Finally, the fun part... adding the "icing" to the cake.  Each tier has a ribbon around it.  Into the ribbon I tucked rosettes made from socks and washcloths, baby powder, baby shampoo, pacifiers, stuffed toys, rattles and teethers.

The finished product...




All in all, I'd classify this project as a success!!

No comments:

Post a Comment