Friday, February 17, 2012

Baby Burp Cloths

                                                                                                                                                                                                   




"Sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of." 

Recently the arrival of two precious baby girls prompted me to search for a something special that I could make for these new bundles of joy.  The internet provided me with so many ideas but I finally settled on burp cloths.  I had found at least 4 different types of burp cloths and finally decided to combine a couple of them. I chose to use cloth diapers as the "base", after all, they are designed to be absorbent.  While these really were not difficult to make they were time consuming.  I believe that if I were to make them again they probably would not take me quite as long as I would  have a little more experience.  

Here's what you'll need:
cloth diapers (I used the type that had the thicker panel down the center)
coordinating fabric
fusible web
ribbon (to tie them together for presentation)

To begin, cut fabric slightly larger that the thick center panel.  Tuck the raw edges under and press to keep the edges crisp.  Pin this, right side up, to the diaper and then sew down the fabric close to the outside edges.  Next embellish the cloths.  I used the baby's name and "burp".  You will need to trace the letters backwards on the fusible web.  Iron to the wrong side of the fabric and cut out.  Remove the backing from the letters and iron to the front of the burp cloth.  Now comes the hard part... I don't have an embroidery sewing machine so I set the machine to a zig zag stitch with a very small stitch length and stitch width and then went around the outside edges of the lettering.  That's it!!  The possibilities are endless.  






Confession... The stitching around the letters was more difficult than I anticipated and I made many mistakes.  When I look at these, all I see are the flaws and that makes it so I can't love them.  I know I'm probably much more critical than anyone else would be.  At least the mistakes help attest to the fact that it is, indeed, homemade... homemade with love!


1 comment:

  1. Very cute, Deb. You're right, I can't see any mistakes, but being the maker, you do. Don't worry about it. I'm sure they were received with the same love that made them.

    ReplyDelete