Monday, February 13, 2012

Saltine Cracker Toffee



I wanted to bring in a sweet treat to work tomorrow for Valentine's Day, but I have to admit that this trial was more of a "mess" than a "success"!!  Oh, I know it "looks" good, but trust me, looks can be deceiving.  I burnt the sugar... perhaps I should have stayed off my work e-mail?!?  Anyway, lesson learned.  If I have time yet today I will try to make another batch to take into work, if not, at least I had good intentions and my family will get to pick through the pieces to find some that are at least edible!

This recipe was another one of those fun Pinterest finds!!  Check it out here.

You will need:

40 salted saltine crackers or enough to line your pan
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips
(optional) 3/4 cup chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Line saltine crackers in a single layer on the pan. 

In a small pot combine sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Once mixture is at a boil, continue boiling for 3 minutes. Mixture should be a deep caramel color. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely. 
(So far so good!)

Bake at 400 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes. (This where things when horribly wrong for me... watch it carefully! As it turns out I probably should have taken it out of the oven after 3, maybe 4 minutes!!)  It will get all bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and let sit a couple of minutes to melt. Sometimes I melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute then spread it on. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts if desired. Cool completely and break into pieces. 








                                                                
Good Luck... and remember to watch it carefully!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment